Get all the latest information on New Products, Sales and Offers.
Sign up for our newsletter today!
Stubbing Wheels for CNC machines and robots
Diamond stubbing wheels (also known as gauging wheels or calibration wheels) are used for surface milling, material removal (recessing and pocketing), and calibration with numerical controlled machined tools and 5-axis machines and robots on marble, granite, and engineered stone. There are many types and models of stubbing wheels to chose from.
Stubbing wheel fittings are usually flanged but 1/2-gas connections are also available for use on routing machines and for light removal.
A cone with this type of fitting or a 1/2″ gas-flange adaptor is needed for stubbing wheels having flanged connections.
The various versions of the stubbing wheels also differ based on diameter and useful cutting height.
How to choose the correct stubbing wheel?
This depends on the material to be worked, the machine, and the application.
- As with the other tool categories, the following rules hold true:
Sintered wheel are used to work granite and engineered stone;
Electroplate wheels are used for working marble and stone.
- If you can’t use a flanged fitting, a wheel with a 1/2 gas connection is needed.
- For light removal, small-diameter stubbing wheels or those with a half- gas connection can be used.
- If you use the stubbing wheel on 5-axis CNC 5 machines or Robots, we suggest the concave stubbing wheels.
- For heavy-duty material removal on granite or a high-power CNC machine, the Turbo Granite scrubbing wheels is the tool to use.
General advice on using stubbing wheels:
Stubbing wheels are very large-diameter tools (compared with finger bits or core drill bits) and for this reason, we recommend you use a plunge depth proportional to the spindle power. The plunge depth may vary from 0.5 mm for a machine with a very small spindle, such as for example a 2.2 or a 3.7Kw spindle, or up to a 5-mm plunge depth for an 11 or 15 Kw electric spindle. If your CNC machine’spindle is not powerful enough, we recommend a version with a half-gas connection or at least one with a small diameter.
For any information on these wheels, please don’t hesitate to contact us at